Saturday, November 1, 2008

Go!

Know Eye Inn Teem's 2008 album kicked off today with a rehearsal of bassist Ann's yet-to-be-named original song. This song has a catchy tune and tells a bright story about a woman's infatuation with a tattooed coffee shop barista.


There was perhaps some foreshadowing today of what it will mean for me to be the only band member this year without musical talent: for a while there, I was just kind of a lump on the couch, entertained by Cerin and Ann assembling the song in a back-and-forth sort of way. As I experienced with my own songs, Ann had not preconceived what Cerin's guitar part would sound like when she composed it, so she presented the tune and lyrics to Cerin and they found the strokes and chords that worked.

I hauled out one of my miscellaneous drums in hopes of contributing, but, frankly, it sounded horrible when I beat on it, so I abandoned the drum and sang instead. In the eleven months since we finished our last album, I have in no way improved on my ability to sing on key, so KEIT fans will be relieved to learn that I will not be singing on the final version of this song. I was just chipping in to give us a first, rough recording so that when we come back to this song and record it for real, which may be a couple weeks from now, we won't have forgotten what it's supposed to sound like.

Everything came together in a remarkably short period of time. We actually finished rehearsal early.

Our planned playlist this year consists of 4 original songs by band members, plus covers of the following:
  • Show Me The Way (Peter Frampton)
  • Washington, D.C. (The Magnetic Fields)
  • All Mine (Portishead)
As always at the start of this sort of endeavor, I'm feeling a little nervous about how it will all turn out. I am so psyched to have a drummer this year, but Chris is out of recording range in malaria-endemic locales for much of the month. That may be our biggest obstacle. Damn the mosquitoes. There are still a lot of question marks on the schedule, and I am not coping well with the uncertainty. But we have enough sheer talent to pull us through any rough spots.

No comments: