Monday, December 8, 2008

It's Done

Slightly Off Beak is complete as of 11:15 last night, the result of about 20 hours of work over the weekend. I feel like I shoved all the songs into my mouth as fast as I could and swallowed them without chewing them properly, and now they are making me queasy.

As Ann noted, it is amazing that I managed to sit there for 20 hours without stabbing a sharp object through my eardrum.

Much to everyone's dismay, I did end up doing the singing part on "Show Me The Way," and it is just as bad as you might have feared. I recorded a lot of takes. I started out focusing on hitting the right notes, which is not a strength of mine, but those takes sounded like I was singing the song at a school recital. So then I tried picturing myself singing it to an arena full of screaming fans, but it was still lacking. Then I tried singing it like I was angry. I was getting closer. Finally, I tried singing it like I was suffering from some grievous wound, like maybe intestinal bleeding. That's where it ended up. I sound a little like Axl Rose, I think. When I put the layers together, I turned up the instruments and turned down my voice, to minimize the pain to listeners.

I'll be posting a Listener's Guide to accompany the album just as soon as I can bring myself to listen to it all the way through.

Meanwhile, now's the time to hit up KEIT members for your copy!

No comments: