Tuesday, December 9, 2008

2008 Listener's Guide

I gave out the first copy of Slightly Off Beak today, to a friend at work, Shimon. To be honest, he did not seem properly impressed. I'm positive that will change when he listens to it. It's going to rock his world.

If you've been following the blog, you may already know more than you want to about Slightly Off Beak's songs, but here are the producer's notes upon listening to it all the way through for the first time tonight.

By the way, the album is very short. Under 22 minutes for all the songs. You're welcome.

1. Mister Barista
This is my favorite song on the album, because of its energy and its innocent charm. And how many songs do you hear with a bass solo? Not enough, I'm sure. I like the part after the first chorus where it goes "da da da da da da da....BOOM," which sounds like a part in INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart." The recording tends to blur the words, unfortunately, so I include them for you here. They may have changed slightly in the final version:

When I walk from my house in the am (whoa-oh)
The coffeeshop is jazzing my brain stem (whoa-oh)
Cause that is where you work
Oh oh that is where you work
And the caffeine's a nice perk but you're the gem.

My nervousness at seeing you's acute. (Whoa-oh)
Black glasses and tattoos make you so cute. (Whoa-oh)
I can't suppress my sigh
You're just my type of guy
But to you I'm just an order in a suit

CHORUS:
Mister Barista I'm the gal of your dreams
Wake up, smell the coffee, stop playing with steam.
Jump over that counter and into my arms
We'll live happily after once you see my charms.

(Bridge)

I plot and plan my order in advance (whoa-oh)
Will caramel lattes rate a second glance? (Whoa-oh)
Or will you just fill my cup
Barely pausing to look up
I'd drop witty comments but I don't have a chance.

Don't you feel the smoldering behind my mug? (Whoa-oh!)
Are you blind to every eyelash bat, you lug? (Whoa-oh!)
My longing looks, my smiles;
My every feminine wile;
Zip zilch reaction, not one lousy shrug.

CHORUS
Your lack of interest's leaving me bereft (Whoa-oh!)
Could you possibly be socially inept? (Whoa-oh!)
Social anxiety disease
Has never before pleased
But at this point I'll take what hope I get.

If you're afraid of making the first move (Whoa-oh!)
A plan of action I think you'll approve (Whoa-oh!)
Is to have you quickly blink
When I come to buy my drink
And all my unhappiness will be removed.

CHORUS

2. Qualifiers
When we finally finished this song, Jonathan noted that it was not at all how he had originally written it, but he was okay with that. I think he should be proud; it is a very solid finished product. My personal reaction to the song went from despair at the beginning of the month, when I just couldn’t imagine what he wanted it to sound like, to finding it catchy, and stuck not unpleasantly in my head. “The age of deities is over…”

3. Show Me The Way
I cringed when this song came on, having tried to forget it ever happened in the 48 hours since I finalized it. And yet it’s not so bad (or my expectations were just sufficiently low). Jonathan and I each did our duet parts without listening to each other, and you can tell, but I actually like that “not quite lined up” effect. The pace is good, and the bass line is impressive. I know you are wondering about the “voice box.” Yep, that’s me again. You kind of don’t know whether to laugh or cry, right?

4. Iron Kiss
What is so amazing about this song is that it showcases our violin player, Brad, in a couple of different starring roles, neither of which involves the violin. First, he wrote this song, and coaxed it ably from a page of lyrics into the final version. Second, Brad played the drums on this song. Now, the drums have been sitting down in the KEIT studio since July, and plenty of amateurs (I’m a leading offender) have sat down and attacked them with sticks from time to time, but no amateur had made them sound like they’re supposed to sound until Brad came along. He claimed to be as surprised as anyone else. By the way, we determined, with some regret, that KEIT had outgrown the violin this year. There was simply no good spot for it. Luckily Brad has those other talents!

5. Washington, DC
I love Chelsea’s singing on this song. If you have heard the original, by The Magnetic Fields, it is very simple (hence its selection for our repertoire). I think we are both true to the original and give it an injection of garage-band sincerity, including the new irreverent piano ending. Mic was great at playing this ending improvisationally, so it was different in each take, and I cut and pasted from two of those takes to get the final version.

6. Kevin, Shake That Bacon
It would have been ideal to have real drums on this song, as we did when we played it at Kevin’s birthday party (see http://aluminumalbum.blogspot.com/2008/07/kevin-shake-that-bacon.html), but with geographic difficulties, I had to settle for the canned version. Mic took creative liberties with the keyboard drums and at one point toward the end, I am perturbed to discern a repeated noise like a cat coughing up a hairball, but I like that the rest of it has a little percussion funkiness. Again I must congratulate myself on my brilliant software orchestration of the voiceover interlude. Tossing aside the humility that would be appropriate when describing a song I co-wrote, I must say that I think it is a great number and am tempted to re-record and assemble it track by track into a really great finished version, then send it to Kevin Bacon. As the voiceover explains, I have no interest in stalking him; I just think he should know that there is an awesome song about him out there. Wouldn’t you want to know?

7. All Mine
The Portishead original reminds me of a James Bond theme, and I believe that our version captures that mysterious, glamorous darkness. Cerin’s guitar solo is perfect. She was a little like a sorceress with the amp, conjuring up fierce feedback while trying not to lose control and let its power overwhelm her. Go ahead, lay heaps of praise on me for my baking sheet stylings on this song. It comes in at the end, right after the last words, in case you’re not sure what you’re listening for.

8-10. Bonus Tracks
If you’re still listening (bless you), you’ll be delighted to realize the album has three bonus tracks! Two are short, amusing clips of conversation from rehearsals. The other is the off-the-cuff swing version of “Iron Kiss.”

You are encouraged to use this blog to make comments on the album! As usual, making fun of us is not just acceptable, it is mandatory.

6 comments:

Fortunato said...

I certainly hope I am credited as "lucky"

-jonathan

Kelly Strei said...

I just received my copy in the mail and am listening to it as I type this. What a fine piece of workmanship...even better than the first album. Hands down, my favorite part is the triangle solo on "Iron Kiss" :) You guys are awesome.

German Grad said...

Andy and I are listing to it right now. We'll post when we're done.

Andrew Byers said...

Jennie, I hope I'm not breaking your heart by saying this, but I prefer your first album to the second. There's just something very earnest and charming about the first album that's missing from the second. I prefer the covers on the first and I really miss Jamie's voice a lot. I'm not saying I don't like the second album, just that I like the first better.

Anonymous said...

Andy, you are entitled to your opinion, even though it's totally off. Ha ha, just kidding. I know what you mean. And it was intentional; we didn't want to sound like we didn't know what we were doing in Year 2. So I'm okay with it. Thanks for listening to it!

Andrew Byers said...

I don't want to leave you with the impression that we didn't enjoy the new album -- we definitely did. It's clear that you're getting more technically sophisticated as well.