Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Getting Those Musical Ducks in a Row

I think there is no better way of demonstrating one's love for music than by donning a carrot costume and parading around in front of your coworkers for a $100 prize to be applied to band expenses, so that's what I did at my office Halloween costume party today. I won!

This is good news, because the secondhand iBook with GarageBand software that I will be picking up tomorrow is still kind of pricey, plus I have been drooling over drum sets on Craigslist.

According to the grueling band schedule, I am slated to play percussion for the first two songs we tackle: "You Know I'm No Good" (Amy Winehouse) and "Happy, The End" (The Innocence Mission). Based on listening repeatedly to these songs on my iPod during my metro rides into work, closing my eyes for concentration, and mouthing "ONE two three four five six SEVEN eight" while tapping on my purse, I have judged that "Happy, The End" will not be too tough, provided I can find a cymbal or cymbal substitute.

"You Know I'm No Good," though, has some hardcore drumming that will be difficult for me as an absolute amateur to replicate, especially if I am merely banging on pots with a spoon.

I found something irresistable on Craigslist: a kid's drum set for $85!!! Apparently they are real drums; they're just, well, miniature! Which seems fitting for a band recording an album in a month. With the aforementioned grueling band schedule, though, I am unsure when I can go take a look at them and haul them to the Know Eye Inn Teem sound studio (i.e. my basement). Are there any vehicle-enabled members of the KEIT fan base who might want to volunteer for this mission? I'll even throw in the remaining $15 from my carrot costume prize as a hauling fee!

1 comment:

Adriana DiFranco said...

(laughing and shaking my head)

Jennie Laverne Quik.

Yes, you are crazy.

But the good kind of crazy.

I believe KEIT fans/groupies will now rightfully be called CarrotHeads (with apologies to Jimmy Buffet).

Drum on, drummer girl!

:)

--Adriana
(CarrotHead since 2007)