Saturday, November 3, 2007

Knee-Deep in the Rock-n-Roll Lifestyle

Last night I partied like a rock star with an actual rock star, namely Bono. Okay, well it wasn’t just me and Bono. Queen Noor, George Soros, and Ashley Judd were there too. Okay, and several hundred other people. Anyway he was very excited to hear from me that Know Eye Inn Teem will be covering "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on our album, and wholly endorsed our plan to set it to a mambo beat, wondering aloud in his charming Irish accent why he hadn't thought of it himself.


I was drinking, so the details of that story may not be entirely accurate.



Bono and me

I got to bed around 3AM, and then woke up about 7:30 this morning to have time to run to my office to retrieve my new (used) iBook before my sound technician would arrive at the KEIT studio at 10AM. By "sound technician," I actually mean "raccoon exterminator" (as many of you know, I have raccoons). Unfortunately, he never showed up, which was particularly aggravating because before I became a rock star (i.e. yesterday), I was used to getting a lot more sleep.


I did squeeze in a 30-minute nap before the very first KEIT rehearsal, then powered up the iBook for the very first time right before Peter and Cerin arrived. I will confess to you that at that moment -- hung over, sleep-deprived, staring uncomprehendingly at GarageBand software I had never seen before on an unfamiliar computer -- I had some serious self-doubts.


But we ordered a pizza and dove in. We played "You Know I'm No Good," and you know, we were no good, at least at first. But we got the hang of it, and Peter figured out how to layer the instruments and vocals on the software. So after we played it through a few times together, we finished the rehearsal by each listening with headphones to Amy Winehouse singing the song, and recording it as we played or sang along individually. Now I just have to figure out how to put the layers together.

Today's rehearsal was miraculous, in short. I am very proud of the Teem.

1 comment:

Andrew Byers said...

You know, Jennie, you're not the first SS member to meet Bono. Natalie met him 2-3 times when she was working on the Hill and he seemed to be very smitten with her. I think Brent may have met Bono too. Bono was much less smitten with him.