Thursday, November 15, 2007

Every Band Needs A Dictator

The past two rehearsals have not been wildly exciting, but we have added some texture to our Know Eye Inn Teem original song, "6AM." Everyone agrees that this song rocks. I believe it will be our legacy. It would be the one that we would market as a single and it would go to the top of the charts, if there were a market and charts for songs by makeshift bands recording an album in someone's basement in a 30-day period without the benefit of a full set of real instruments.

If such a market existed, we'd have it cornered right now.

Rachel began work on the vocals on Monday but we did not get a final track that night, even after I brutally forced her to record it over and over and over again to try to get it perfect. Sometimes, as the album's producer, I have to crack the whip a little. Cerin bitterly accused me on Saturday of treating her like "my little guitar monkey," or some such thing, which is silly, because she IS my little guitar monkey, and why can't she just embrace it? It will be interesting to see how many of my band members volunteer for this again next year.

Last night we did finalize the vocals, with Rachel and Julie (shining at her first rehearsal) collaborating. They got one track that was great before the trombone solo, and one that was great after the trombone solo, so I intend to cut and paste the good parts into the final product. Peter demonstrated his uncanny ability to spontaneously add trombone noises to a song to make it sound better.

Unfortunately, before we could have Julie add some triangle-n-tambourine action, the recorder's memory card filled up. I tried dumping some material I'd already uploaded to GarageBand, but this did not solve the problem. This could be a major issue if I can't figure it out before Mic shows up tonight to do the keyboard part on "I Just Called To Say I Love You." Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Andrew Byers said...

Wow, an honest-to-God cliffhanger! I can't wait to see how it all turns out....

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jennie. I really appreciate the respect for my trombone playing - especially because we trombonists don't always get it:

"My parents forced upon me trombone lessons," Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) informed country music star Lyle Lovett at a Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing. "I learned how to play the guitar," he added, because "the opposite sex was not attracted to trombone."

No respect.