Sunday, December 16, 2007

Listener's Guide

The seven songs on the album speak for themselves, of course (and perhaps unfortunately), but I was compelled to make some notes about them that may prove enlightening as you listen. Naturally, all the blog entries over the past month and a half also shed some light. If you are checking out the blog for the first time after seeing the web address on the CD, it will probably make more sense if you read my first blog entry: http://aluminumalbum.blogspot.com/2007/10/auspicious-beginnings.html

Above all else, as you listen, keep in mind that we recorded the album in 30 days (more or less) and while it may not inspire any talk of a 35-city live tour, I do think it features moments of musical brilliance - however fleeting! I should also mention that the KEIT members surprised me over and over again with their creativity, dedication, insight, and courage. I am so grateful to them for making my wacky idea a reality.

1. 6AM
This was our sole original song, of which we are all really enamored. We find the chorus really catchy. We want to hear you humming it as you walk the dog, and singing it in the shower (which is not to say we want to take a shower with you, necessarily). I added the background vocals as an afterthought and became obsessed with the echo sound enabled by the software. Probably it is a bit over the top, but I don't care. Also, I really like the end of the song.

2. Super Freak
Mic did such a great job on this that it was really criminal that I had to ruin it with the kazoo at the end, but we had no good alternatives. Derrick, man, you have to locate that saxophone before November 2008! (oh yes, we'll be doing this again in '08)

3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
This was our only live number; the rest were recorded track by track. We kept accidentally speeding up as we played it, because the percussion wasn't very prominent. In the end I decided I liked it played fast, so I just followed the keyboard/guitar with the percussion. Consequently, it starts at U2 pace and finishes at U2-on-amphetamines pace. The amazing thing about that is that Brad had to play the violin part toward the end a LOT faster than U2 plays it, and you know what? He was amazing. Bono should think about using him. Also, I cannot resist pointing out that I think I sound EXACTLY like Bono when I sing the "wipe the tears from your eyes" part, so listen for that.

4. Brighter Than Sunshine
A big thank you to KEIT Guest Recording Artist Jamie Bellis for stepping in after technical crises threatened to doom this song. We wanted Jamie to be in the band all along because she has an angelic voice, so it was like a homecoming.

5. I Just Called To Say I Love You
It took only 2 KEIT musicians to record this song, isn't that remarkable? Mic did 3 tracks on The Device and Peter did the vocal track. I have always been a 70s and 80s Stevie Wonder fan but was especially struck, as we recorded it, by the complexity of what sounds on the surface like a pretty simple song (which was why I naively chose it). That Stevie has a genious beyond what I understood back in October.

6. Eleanor Rigby
Too bad we didn't have a KEIT Guest Recording Artist on the day we did "Eleanor Rigby," because you got stuck with me instead. I know, I know, I cannot hit the right notes, except the very last line sounds miraculously in tune, somehow. Anyway, try to ignore me and just focus on the rich sound of KEIT's 2-person string quartet.

7. You Know I'm No Good
This was the first song we recorded, back on November 2 when we were oh so green. The product reflects that greenness. You have to start somewhere!

No comments: